Tuesday, January 15, 2013

#9 The price to pay for being burnt

The price of being burnt is complex and on going. Some never fully recover from their burn, mentally and physically. The monetary burden of being burnt.

Today, 2 years later, I can talk about this. My parents (mom and stepdad) and I am still recovering from the monetary burden of me being burnt. Bills are still coming in two years later! I am still in physical therapy two years later! I was just released from the burn unit last month! A burn is a long healing process. It makes you realize how wonderfully made we are as humans. It may take a while and it may not be pretty but when burnt down to the muscle, over joints, through the contractures, through the unattractive healing process, God heals!

We have spent thousands of dollars in bangages, co-pays, medicines, braces, therapy, massages, and garments. Without my parents i could not have healed as beautifully as I was able too. God always provides a way. In the burn unit through numerous visits I was given the chance to talk with many other burn victims and though it was hard for them as well, God always provided. My mom worked two jobs, while raising and providing for three other children and two step children. My mom is a provider. She is the most selfless and giving person I know. Not everyone is blessed with a mom like mine, but everyone faced with a difficult situation is provided a way. It is not easy, not matter your path, but you will make it through.

Tips to savings and healing:
It goes without saying that good insurance is key. I did not have good insurance. Most importantly, find a therapist that is passionate about helping you through this difficult time. I have been with the same therapist for the duration of therapy. You are not bound to seeking therapy at the hospital or to a specific therapist. Your doctor and insurance must approve your therapist of choice.
My doctor did not provide me a therapist nor did he tell me I needed one. You WILL need a GREAT THERAPIST. Mine has been my saving grace, and is the only reason I am as well as I am today!
Shop around for every treatment and garment or brace recommended WITH your therapist.
Therapy is in itself expensive, so work hard to make the most of your time with them.
Have your therapist assign you homework, and anything that you can do before, after or outside your session is good to take advantage of outside of your therapists time.
Invest in a at-home massager, so you or someone in your home can massage your scar tissue outside of therapy.
Look at your spending as an investment for a better you. And take care of yourself! Put your healing 1st! Do not set yourself back by not doing your excersises, research or doing something silly like going out in the sun or over-doing it in your daily activities (if something is too much or too hard, do not work through it risking set backs, relax, breathe and stretch it out. Do not over-do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment